Cormier - who last fought at heavyweight in 2013 before leaving the division - already seems to have his first challenger lined up in the form of Brock Lesnar. Lesnar had sat Octagon-side as "DC" knocked out Miocic.
"I fight Brock Lesnar, I get paid", said Cormier, who added he is only interested in big fights to finish his career. Your days are the past, 2010.
"This is the ultimate thing you can do in this sport", Cormier said. "Now you know he's back".
Following Cormier's first round victory to capture the heavyweight title on Saturday night, he did call out Lesnar during a post fight interview. It was a hard-hitting fight with both men looking hurt at points, and the idea that Olympic wrestler Cormier would have a grappling advantage over Miocic was largely proven false. He does fake fighting.
"Push me now, you go to sleep later".
Lesnar has not competed in the UFC since UFC 200 in July 2016 when he took on the heavy-handed Mark Hunt. He tested positive for the anti-estrogenic agent hydroxy-clomiphene in an out-of-competition U.S. Anti-Doping Agency drug test before the fight and in an in-competition test the day of the bout. The WWE star will celebrate his 41st birthday later this week. The ban was put on hold when Lesnar left the USADA testing pool. "Do it the right way".
In a sane world, that would make Lesnar eligible to fight again near the start of January 2019.
UFC 226 has now come and gone and what an absolute treat it turned out to be. His status as the top champion on Raw has attracted criticism throughout much of 2018, mainly stemming from the fact that Lesnar works a very limited WWE schedule - making few appearances, and even fewer title defences. "He's not going to do anything to piss Vince off".
"Weeks ago, Lesnar's advocate Paul Heyman revealed that The Beast's next Universal Title defense was facing contractual issues due to a lack of confidence in WWE to find a suitable challenger".
- Hamilton rages at Mercedes after Austria woe
- Pruitt resigns as EPA Administrator
- Conservatives line up behind possible Trump Supreme Court finalists
- Trade war unleashed, officially: Trump takes aim at $500 bn Chinese goods
- Swedes not satisfied yet, says Andersson after Swiss win
- Top scorers meet best defence in Brazil v Belgium clash
- Rescuers have freed four boys trapped in Thai cave
- Danilo ruled out for the rest of the World Cup
- Croatia show nerves of steel to make semis
- Israel targets 'Syrian position' in Qunaitra in northern Golan Heights