"England fans are a different class".
"But now we have a chance to reassess and it will be a tough game for sure".
"I have absolute respect for the work - which is not easy - that the institution and the referees do", he added. They are greater than the sum of their parts more often than not'.
"Now we are one step closer".
There may well be a price to pay in terms of injuries, with concerns over Jamie Vardy (groin), Dele Alli (thigh) and Ashley Young (ankle) in particular, but Southgate was not underestimating how much beating Colombia meant. I think he is a great goalkeeper.
Yet, more recently, English goalkeepers have been better known for make high-profile mistakes, too. We've got an outstanding mentality. I thought "I'm going right here" and bang!
"We didn't lose the penalties and that's got to be the best thing from this". Vardy feels a bit with his groin.
But no matter how highly you regard the 29-year-old, you nearly certainly don't rate him for his skills - and that's why this video of him on Soccer AM's Skill Skool comes as a surprise.
"But that will take a good 36 hours". Once he came on, I felt we lost the initiative a little bit.
"I found it peculiar that they put an American referee in this instance".
England are now joint second favourites alongside France to win the tournament at just 4/1, according bookmakers Ladbrokes.
England have a long tradition of excellent goalkeepers but also a tradition of playing them beyond their sell-by-date, with fatal consequences.
Their manager Janne Andersson has masterminded his country's run to the last-eight with a defence which is incredibly tough to break down. It's hard when you miss and nothing can be said that's going to make it alright, but it's not about me.
He said: "At full time I was telling people around me, "Yes we are going to win on penalties" - I didn't believe it".
- England and Belgium battle for World Cup group top spot
- Former champion Kvitova makes early Wimbledon exit
- Israel targets 'Syrian position' in Qunaitra in northern Golan Heights
- Rescuers have freed four boys trapped in Thai cave
- Brazil coach Tite not a fan of penalty shootouts
- Brexit Secretary David Davis resigns
- China: US tariffs will hit intl. supply chains
- Conservatives line up behind possible Trump Supreme Court finalists
- Belgium eliminate Brazil to reach World Cup semifinals
- Croatia Are Through To The Semi-Finals After A Penalty Shootout