I brought a few pals up to Shrewsbury for the night, it's been great.
"Fair enough they are a young team but they needed to turn up tonight".
These boys are writing their own history, unperturbed by the cruel and sadistic past that their predecessors have left behind.
"I was in Nice to watch us lose to Iceland, I was in Kiev to lose against Italy".
"We shouldn't be surprised Croatia is in the last four", said Dalic.
But Raj Singh, a Canadian who supports England because he has relatives in Britain, said the team may have passed up their best opportunity in a lifetime to reach a World Cup final. "You brought us all together and made us very #proud". We keep looking to break the barriers down.
"We go out and we download and we stream Three Lions".
This victory however has not been of the players alone, it has been a triumph for their manager as well.
The English dream ended in 1996 with Southgate's penalty miss.
The moment was indicative of the warm welcome England have received in Russian Federation at their training base near St. Petersburg as well as in the four host cities they've played in so far.
England's success is however not as dramatic and sudden as it seems to be.
England and Croatia are teams that innovated over time but have generally been immutable during the World Cup, sticking to virtually identical starting line ups except for group phase fin·les, after advancement was secure.
Crowds of fans booed as the national anthem played for Croatia at the start of the game.
At this year's World Cup, teams can pay a heavy price for not getting a second goal to reward itself for a dominating period of play.
"It's not just my generation, it would be fantastic for the younger generation too if we won".
The 2018 side are guaranteed to join that pantheon whatever the result of Wednesday's semi-final against Croatia in Moscow, though, and Southgate said there were some similarities.
- England - Croatia: the main defender of "Dnepr" may miss the match
- Follow your dreams: Anderson stuns Federer and issues South Africa rallying call
- Donald Trump re-election flags being made in China despite imminent Trade War
- England's inexperience shows as World Cup dream is dashed
- Too early to take positives for proud England boss Southgate
- Anderson stuns Federer in quarter-final cliffhanger
- Croatians who have made their mark in England
- Croatia star Modric expects a tough game against a 'strong' England
- Trump’s trade war: what is it and which products are affected?
- NFL's 2018 supplemental draft will take place July 11