Croatia's dominance of the game grew as time wore on. He missed the knockout stages as he had to rush back to his then Croatian club Hajduk Split for pre-season training.
The game ended 1-1 in regular time, and was won with Croatia's second goal scored in extra time.
The Juventus striker finally limped off utterly exhausted six minutes from time but promised unstinting effort on Sunday to bring the World Cup back to the nation of some four million people. Following Mario Mandzukic's 109th-minute victor, Southgate used his final change to bring on striker Jamie Vardy in place of defender Kyle Walker. "The chance to settle a score".
Asked if Croatia could beat France in the final on Sunday, his girlfriend Marina said: "Of course".
But Dalic is confident fatigue will not be an issue for his side.
But he eventually lost his rhythm in the second half and found himself overwhelmed by a resurgent Croatia attack spearheaded by Luka Modric, and was taken off at full-time.
"I'm anxious, but I've got my fingers crossed", said 27-year-old Charlie Conroy as the clock ticked away.
"It's not the game we wanted to be in, as a team".
It was a tactical switch from Dalic that resulted in the equaliser.
Kyle Walker reacts at the final whistle: the England players were "absolutely gutted", he said.
"She thinks that he led the team fantastically and that the whole country should be proud of how far England got", the spokeswoman said.
England captain Kane told ITV Sport: "It's tough".
He said he had to go to the Gulf because European teams "look for brand names" and tended to go for "big names, big money, big mistakes", whereas Croatian coaches have been underrated. - Gareth SouthgateRobbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty ImagesTHANKING THE FANSFrom England Twitter: "To everyone who supported us. They should be more humble and respect their opponents more". Germany then reached the semi-finals in their next five major tournaments - winning the World Cup in 2014 - before their shock group-stage exit in Russian Federation. He will be crucial in the final against Croatia taking on the risky Perisic and Rebic but is capable of handling the task.
- Exhausted Croatia must draw on reserves for World Cup final against France
- Why was Kimi Raikkonen penalty 10 not five seconds?
- Meghan Markle teases toddler who stroked her hair on Ireland visit
- Croatia rallies past England to reach World Cup final
- Trump rattles North Atlantic Treaty Organisation , knocking its value and assailing Germany
- Prince Harry-Meghan Markle to start a family in the near future?
- Antonio Conte has been sacked by Chelsea
- May hopes Trump visit will boost US-UK links
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit: Trump hails alliance spending promises after crisis meeting
- Battle begins over Trump’s Supreme Court pick