Rhys Hoskins put on a show in the Home Run Derby Monday night in Washington, D.C., but he, unfortunately, faced off against Schwarber in the second round and Schwarber went off. The venue will also host the 2018 MLB All-Star Game on Tuesday night.
Harper is the third player to win the Home Run Derby at his home park, joining Todd Frazier in Cincinnati (2015) and Ryne Sandberg at Wrigley Field in Chicago (1990). Then he drove the second pitch of bonus time over the fence in center field to win the home run crown and send the home crowd into a frenzy. After he connected with the game victor, the Nationals star immediately went into celebration mode.
Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts says New York Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom will follow Scherzer for the NL. The average distance of Hoskins' homers was 403.1 feet in the first round, 412.5 feet in the semifinals; his average exit velocity was 102.35 miles per hour in the first round, 102.6 miles per hour in the semifinals.
Clock ticking. His dad - and lifelong BP pitcher - Ron Harper having trouble just throwing strikes. That made the victory even sweeter. For as Harper himself said after capturing the derby crown, if the Nationals can bottle Monday's magic and retain it over the next three months, postseason success could at last await. He's a great kid. However, Schwarber hit a hot streak and edged him out with time to spare.
Harper can only hope this helps him get back into the swing.
"As soon as I got done with that round I told myself that (Harper) had it", Schwarber said.
Homer Harper takes Home Run Derby
Aaron Judge won the 2017 Home Run Derby, the fourth member of the Yankees to do so.
No. 3 seed Max Muncy vs.
Muncy hit a whopping 17 home runs in the first round of the derby when he was bracketed against Báez (who was given an additional 30 seconds).
Harper hit 13 home runs in the first round, eliminating Freddie Freeman and advancing to the semifinals.
His 17 home runs in the opening round caught the attention of the baseball world. It's 336' down the left field line and 335' down the right. Schwarber then barely edged out Bregman, the only American League hitter, by a score of 16-15.
Schwarber went first and banged 18 homers.
- Trump, Putin sit down a bit late for closely watched summit
- Antoine Griezmann hails diversity of World Cup winning side
- Ryan Giggs: Cristiano Ronaldo is obsessed with being better than Lionel Messi
- Amazon is getting sketchier, but Prime Day avoids some of the mess
- Donald Trump nearly alone in view of Russian Federation meddling
- Standing beside Putin, Trump calls Mueller probe a 'disaster'
- Trump tells Hannity Russians 'have no information on Trump'
- Barack Obama dances with his grandmother on Kenya trip
- Helsinki summit: Trump condemns Russian Federation probe after Putin talks
- Finnish Newspaper Dings Trump Ahead of Putin Summit