According to data provided by Amazon, some of the best-selling products include the company's own Echo Dot device, Kindle Paperwhite, Huggies nappies and Finish dishwasher tablets. The first hour, however, sales were down 5% when compared to past year.
The glowing numbers came even though Amazon was hit with a massive glitch that caused its United States and United Kingdom sites to crash at the beginning of the event.
The impact on Australian retailers has yet to be reported.
But Amazon wasn't the only retailer bringing in a record sales haul yesterday. Local consumers were also disappointed when their U.S. accounts were blocked as of 1 July, forcing them to use the Australian version.
Merlon Capital Partners' recent report claims Amazon's first-party range is only around 1.5 million SKUs, with several years needed to reach the range of its United States site.
Amazon reports that it has "over 100 million paid members" globally.
Amazon held its annual Prime Day earlier this week, and the company said the 36-hour event was the biggest shopping event in its history.
There are even some money-making opportunities during Prime Day. As it relates to item sales, however, a 5 percent chunk is not insignificant considering the many different categories on Amazon. However, interested buyers need to act quickly, as there's a set start and end time for specific Amazon Prime Day savings. Amazon Germany was not immediately available for comment. "We looked at about 15 early deals for Amazon and AmazonBasics brands and shoppers are saving over 40 per cent off on average for these products".
In addition, Amazon has invested over €15 billion in Europe, and created over 65,000 permanent jobs since 2010, the company said. This theme of food extended to Whole Foods Market as the retail stores took part with sales throughout the week.
Shoppers clicking on many Prime Day links got only an abashed-looking dog with the words, "Uh-oh". Target's one-day sale made Tuesday its most successful sales day of the year.
Gary Liu, vice president of marketing at Boomerang Commerce, said he believes shoppers got a "vanilla" experience when it came to personalization.
Amazon said sales have increased over last year's Prime Day despite problems in the first hours of this year's event.
- Harper wins Home Run Derby at Nationals Park
- Trump trolled with 'traitor' tweet by Dictionary.com after Putin summit
- Donald Trump nearly alone in view of Russian Federation meddling
- After reprieve, Britain's May faces Brexit battle in parliament on trade
- FIFA World Cup winners handed hero's welcome
- Europe Fines Google $5 Billion for Abusing its Android Dominance
- Kerber beats Serena in straight sets to wins 1st-ever Wimbledon title
- Finnish Newspaper Dings Trump Ahead of Putin Summit
- US lawmakers slam Trump as POTUS backs Russia on US election meddling
- Putin summit begins in Helsinki