It bites and infects birds that other mosquitos then bite and then spread the virus to people.
On Tuesday, the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station identified West Nile Virus-infected mosquitoes in Bridgeport, Easton, New Canaan, Stratford, and Waterbury.
The CDC says that most people infected with West Nile virus do not develop any symptoms.
The Chippewa County Health Department reports a dead crow found in Chippewa County on June 28 has tested positive for West Nile virus.
St. Louis County health officials say people can minimize the risk by eliminating opportunities for mosquitoes to breed and lay eggs.
West Nile can cause severe neurological problems, but most people don't show any symptoms.
West Nile virus is one of several mosquito-borne viruses that can be acquired in North Carolina, DHHS says.
Reduce mosquito exposure by limiting outdoor activities between dusk and dawn. Remove trash and clutter, including discarded waste tires, buckets, tarps and any other items that could collect water.
Keep them outside by having tightly-fitting screens on all of your windows and doors. Change the water in bird baths at least once a week. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and trousers at these times, or consider staying indoors during these hours.
Lastly, Otaigbe said you can use repellent containing DEET on someone as young as two months, but do not apply the repellent onto the child's hands, near the eyes, or mouth, or irritated skin. Drain any standing water in your yard each week. That includes wearing long-sleeved shirts and long trousers when outdoors in mosquito-prone areas, applying insect repellent containing 10 to 30 percent DEET in accordance with all label instructions, and avoiding mosquito-infested areas or times of peak mosquito activity around dusk, dawn or throughout the night.
- Gold slips to 1-year low
- EU ruling against Google opens 'opportunity,' rival Mozilla says
- Jordan Spieth hoping for hair-raising day with Tiger Woods after close shave
- Rabobank: Chinese seafood industry bigger loser as trade war escalates
- 147TH BRITISH OPEN Back to pack
- Joss Whedon Announces BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot
- Trump and Putin discussed possible referendum in eastern Ukraine
- 'Doctor Who' new season trailer soars with Jodie Whittaker
- Alisson completes Liverpool move in world-record deal
- The Open 2018 live third round score updates and leaderboard latest