It's still a huge ask to close a gap of 25 points but Liverpool have strengthened intelligently and only five points separated the two sides in the second half of 2017/208.
And now a promising, yet incomplete, squad has become one with few flaws, after the summer signings of Brazilians Alisson (goalkeeper from Roma) and Fabinho (midfielder from Monaco) plus Guinean Naby Keita (midfielder from RB Leipzig) and Swiss maestro Xherdan Shaqiri (winger from Stoke City).
A summer splurge upwards of £170 million has thrust Liverpool into the spotlight with Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho predictably among those suggesting that they "must" win trophies this season following such lavish spending.
"We can improve our offensive and defensive play but it is nothing to do with City", he said.
Like Liverpool, the Hammers got their business done early and they too have had seen some positive signs in pre-season.
Last season Liverpool surprised many by reaching the Champions League final but Jürgen Klopp's clever recruitment shouldn't have been underestimated. West Ham supporters have been extremely frustrated with the lack of investment since moving to the London Stadium and finally, our prayers seem to have been answered with approximately £100m being splashed out this summer.
Liverpool will be hoping this season brings them success, with many believing the Reds are a serious threat to Manchester City for the Premier League title.
The central defensive area is a bit of an issue for Klopp and Liverpool. A 4-3 win at Arsenal and 3-3 draw at Watford! After that, a clear goal offside decided the game with the third goal.
Alisson came to pre-season training later than the main group because of his involvement in the World Cup and has played just two friendlies against Napoli and Torino in the last six days. It's obviously far too early to tell but the signs are that Salah may just be as unsafe as he was last season. It could be a Balotelli move, then again it could be a Mane move and that is the thing.
"And I think he'll do better and better for us because he's got great quality".
Substitute Daniel Sturridge made it four just seconds after coming on.
West Ham's race, for the day at least, was clearly run. "We are just starting the season, but we need to analyse this game", said Pellegrini.
- Tiger prowling for first major title in decade after Koepka falters
- Trump doubles metal tariffs on Turkey as lira falls by 20%
- Samsung's Galaxy Note 9: up to 1TB storage, all-day battery
- Tottenham boss Pochettino happy to keep Alderweireld
- Rescuers struggling to reach survivors of deadly Indonesian quake
- Jose Mourinho: Every Premier League match will be tough this season
- Erdogan warns Trump Ankara may seek ‘new friends’
- Oil tumbles on slowing Chinese demand, U.S.-China trade spat
- Guardiola expects tougher test in title defence
- White House Describes Military 'Space Force,' Aims To Create It By 2020