Either way, Pogba converted the penalty with aplomb and United went on to win 2-1 - and that's all that matters.
Despite their undisputed millions in the bank, Manchester United have been one of the more traditional clubs, with the manager tending to pick the players that he wants to sign.
"But at the same time I felt I wanted more in attack, I felt that Martial coming into the game last 20 minutes for Mata or Alexis it could bring us a second goal, but I couldn't make that change so it was really hard". Football managers should be called now more head coaches.
"When we have everybody with you, everybody next to you know they want to fight for you, obviously it's going to be easier, you know?" he said.
"If you're not happy in doing what you're doing right now, there's no point doing it", he says. We planned to go to Old Trafford early yesterday to try to get Pogba's autograph before the players went off to their hotel, but had a delay with the auto hire at Manchester Airport and missed the team.
Victory in the Premier League opener was a much-needed shot in the arm after weeks of doom and gloom, with summer target Harry Maguire's inclusion in the Foxes' line-up serving as a reminder of what they missed.
Manchester United have signed Shakhtar Donetsk star Fred, FC Porto defender Diogo Dalot and Stoke goalkeeper Lee Grant in the summer.
Mourinho left no doubt as to how much he valued Pogba's efforts on the night, adding: "Paul was fantastic - his contribution was incredible". "We thought maximum [he could play] 60 minutes, but he managed 80".
"And of course he trained lots of penalties during the World Cup - because it's something that, in a competition like that, every player trains a lot - and he was very confident".
Pogba confirmed that it was his decision to take the penalty ahead of Sanchez from the group nominated by Mourinho.
"We don't have a penalty taker, it's how we feel and I made a decision to take it". I was among the names as well.
"I still enjoying playing football, I still love football and I still give my best with the team, for the team. But very complete performance, he just has to keep going, the mentality was very good, the tactical discipline was very good too and he had the power to move forward and score an important goal for us".
- Donald Trump 'open' to new nuclear deal with Iran
- It's official! Samsung Galaxy Note 9 debuts with new S Pen tricks
- Manafort accountant with immunity admits having reservations about tax filings
- McIlroy pleased with consistency ahead of US PGA Championship
- Koepka and Schwartzel match record low score at US PGA Championship
- Twin California wildfires become state's largest in history
- Tottenham boss Pochettino happy to keep Alderweireld
- Jose Mourinho praises 'complete' Luke Shaw performance against Leicester City
- Oil tumbles on slowing Chinese demand, U.S.-China trade spat
- Tiger Woods could play and vice-captain at Ryder Cup