Her obituary in the Detroit Free Press reports that Aretha Franklin had pancreatic cancer.
There will be an open casket and "lots of singing" at Detroit's Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History.
Quinn added that "funeral arrangements will be announced in the coming days".
A memorial concert is also in the works.
Respect's powerful place as an anthem for civil and women's rights, Franklin's extraordinary vocals on Carole King's (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman, and the iconic I Say A Little Prayer will all form part of music lovers' memories.
"It's just been fantastic".
Franklin's ex-husband, actor Glynn Turman, visited Franklin along with Wonder and told People he held "her frail, frail arm". She performed at his inauguration in 2009 and was a frequent guest of his at the White House. It continued, "Him saying Aretha Franklin "worked for him" conveys how his failing brain works".
Franklin was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Posting on Instagram, she said: "I can't remember a day of my life without Aretha Franklin's voice and music filling up my heart with so much joy and sadness". "I just know she had on a green coat".
Obama and his wife Michelle paid heartfelt tribute to the woman who they said "helped define the American experience".
Sources said that Franklin had "finally listened to her boys".
"For her time, the best singer, male or female", declares WBGO's Bob Porter, singling out her late-1960s and early '70s output as a pinnacle. Aretha turned the song on its head, telling her partner and the world that she could be a breadwinner, too.
"Respect" became an iconic statement of feminist empowerment, but it required Aretha to understand that she could transform a song actually written by a man.
Those around Franklin would often see stacks of cash on her dressing room vanity table, as reported by Remnick, who himself was a witness at a 2016 gig. According to Celebrity Net Worth, the musician had made a hefty sum of money during her career.
- Defending president backfires on former aide
- ‘Tiger Effect’ boosts TV ratings at PGA Championship
- Respect pour Aretha Franklin qui vient de nous quitter
- €5bn wiped off Italian bridge operator Atlantia after Genoa disaster
- Beyonce dedicates concert to ailing Aretha Franklin, ends bitter feud
- Turkish Finance Chief Says ‘Action Plan’ Set To Ease Market Turmoil
- Turkey to raise tariffs on US goods
- Defiant as Trump rages, Omarosa says she won't be silenced
- Trump berates sacked aide for releasing recorded tape showing he’s ‘puppet’
- Aretha Franklin dies in Detroit, surrounded by family and friends