MI health officials say that there have been eight confirmed human cases of the West Nile virus in the state this year, including one death.
The center said cases had been reported from several areas in Greece, especially the Athens and Piraeus metropolitan areas, Evia, areas of Macedonia, and Rethymno on Crete.
Six states - Florida, Indiana, Missouri, New York, Oregon and Utah - have diagnosed only one or two fever cases and none in the nervous system.
One person in Ventura County has contracted West Nile virus, health officials said August 9. Some mosquitoes in Canada can spread West Nile virus to humans through mosquito bites.
Five Wayne County residents and one resident each in Berrien, Kent, and Oakland Counties have been infected.
The CDC reported 98 cases of fever and 89 positive blood tests.
West Nile is transmitted through mosquito bites.
However, this year's season, marked by high temperatures and frequent rainfall followed by dry weather, which suited the life-cycle of mosquitoes, began earlier than before. Maragos said symptoms can mimic the flu, so the best precaution is prevention. Get rid of old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles or any water-holding containers.
¯ Roof gutters should be checked for proper function. Permethrin products are intended for use on items such as clothing, shoes, bed nets and camping gear and should not be applied to skin. Water troughs provide excellent mosquito breeding habitats and should be flushed out at least once a week during the summer months to reduce mosquitoes near paddock areas.
Use insect repellent containing DEET.
The World Health Organisation has warned in a spike in the number of cases of he West Nile virus, with 401 cases of the virus being reported in the European Union so far.
The Department of Health in Bay County has confirmed a third case of West Nile Virus infection in Panama City.
Citing privacy laws, the health department would not provide any other details about the victim.
The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health wants people to keep in mind to wear insect repellant.
State Epidemiologist at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Dr. Catherine Brown, explains how they conduct mosquito testing. Weekly health department stops for the public at Edison Local schools will begin September 17.
- ‘Misinformed’: South Africa rejects Trump tweet on land seizures & ‘killing of farmers’
- Nvidia launches GeForce RTX 2000 Series With 6x Performance Boost
- Trump Organization may face charges from New York DA's office
- Rain Starts To Slow After Flooding Displaces 800000 In Southern Indian State
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United - Confirmed starting teams: Romelu Lukaku returns
- Trump says ex-lawyer's hush payments 'not even a campaign violation'
- Google Avails Its Confidential Mode for Android, iOS Users
- Xiaomi's Poco F1 Arrives In India At Rs 20999
- Manafort juror: Lone holdout blocked conviction on all counts, prosecutors were "napping"
- More than a million people in India flood relief camps