"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family".
House Speaker Paul Ryan said the McCain's death marks a "sad day for the United States", which has lost a "decorated war hero and statesman". On Aug. 24, his family announced their patriarch was going to discontinue treatment for his cancer. "My prayers go out to Senator McCain's friends, family, and constituents during this time - you are in our hearts".
"He was a giant".
The deadline can for candidates to quality for primaries in Arizona was May 30.
"America and Freedom have lost one of her greatest champions.And I've lost one of my dearest friends and mentor", Graham wrote. "And I will miss him dearly". Like his father and grandfather, John McCain served as US Navy fighter pilot and then as a lawmaker until his death.
Though McCain frequently sparred with his own party, plenty of Republican voices weighed in with kind remembrances Saturday.
Former President George W. Bush is calling Arizona Sen.
- McCain was a prominent critic of President Donald Trump. "Thank you Senator McCain for your service to the nation".
Joe Biden: "John McCain's life is proof that some truths are timeless".
"Senator John McCain's mark on our country will never fade".
"I said I know, and I mean this sincerely, I know if I picked up the phone tonight, and called John McCain and said, 'I need your help, come, ' he'd get on a plane and come". The loss of Senator McCain will be felt deeply throughout the Senate and the country - where countless Americans have benefited from his service.
McCain entered the Naval Academy in 1954, soon after graduating from a prep school in Alexandria, VA. Susan Collins, the Maine Republican who traveled to the ends of the earth with McCain - to the Arctic Circle in 2004 and Antarctica two years later - on fact-finding missions related to climate change.
The force of the ejection was so violent, McCain broke his right leg and both arms. On the ground he was beaten and stabbed with a bayonet by North Vietnamese soldiers.
McCain was taken prisoner and stayed in an infamous prison known as the "Hanoi Hilton". Trump later acknowledged that McCain was a hero, but refused to apologize in subsequent interviews. After subjecting McCain to torture and solitary confinement, his captors offered the injured McCain an early release as a propaganda ploy. He was released on March 14, 1973, but was left with permanent infirmities. Jon Kyl and McCain's wife, Cindy, as possible successors, the Washington Post reported.
During the campaign, he overcame attacks that he was a carpetbagger and won a seat in Congress. He was elected to Congress in 1982 and the Senate in 1986.
- Hurricane Lane drops more than 30 inches of rain on Big Island
- Trump says ‘everybody would be very poor’ if he’s impeached
- West Nile Virus found in birds in Kalamazoo County
- Trump campaign chief Manafort found guilty
- Urban Meyer Investigation: Ohio State Coach’s Old Text Messages Missing
- Jürgen Klopp: It’s harder to win the Premier League
- Malcolm Turnbull faces second leadership challenge from Peter Dutton
- Scott Morrison selected as Australia's new prime minister
- Nvidia launches GeForce RTX 2000 Series With 6x Performance Boost
- Harris: Trump pardon of Manafort would be evidence of a crime