Others who have lain in state include former Presidents Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Dwight Eisenhower and Herbert Hoover.
The McCain family is planning funeral arrangements, which will include a full-dress service at Washington National Cathedral at about 10 a.m. Saturday and private burial at the U.S.
"He was my friend and mentor", Brown said, "and I will never forget him".
U.S president Donald Trump, former USA presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and former presidential aspirant Hilary Clinton have taken to Twitter to express their heartfelt condolences to the McCain family and America for Senator John McCain's death. "We are are citizens of the world's greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil", he said.
Trump's brief Twitter statement said "hearts and prayers" are with the McCain family.
After Democratic Ted Kennedy of MA died in 2009, U.S. President Barack Obama ordered flags at the White House flown at half-staff for five days.
"These were bitter contests, both of them", said Sen.
"Few of us have been tested the way John once was or required to show the kind of courage that he did", the statement said in part.
McCain was a frequent critic of President Trump on everything from his leadership style to his Russian Federation policy.
The desk of John McCain is draped in black on the floor of the US Senate on Monday. "The days and years to come will not be the same without my dad - but they will be good days, filled with life and love, because of the example he lived for us".
Tributes poured in from around the globe. "McCain", AMVETS tweeted. "He was a war hero, twice a presidential contender, and a national treasure who devoted his entire adult life to protecting and improving the American way of life". It sprang from his belief in democracy and freedom.
Chancellor Angela Merkel called McCain: "A tireless fighter for a strong trans-Atlantic alliance".
McCain was the son and grandson of admirals and followed them to the U.S. Naval Academy. It was McCain who stopped Trump's repeal of Obamacare and Trump referred to the veteran as "not a war hero".
McCain was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1982, and, after serving two terms, was elected to the U.S Senate in 1986. In ordinary times, that might lift the country to a place beyond petty politics and send an inspirational message of hope and healing.
"That was his mantra", Flake said on CNN's "State of the Union".
- Fashion flap: Serena OK with French Open despite catsuit ban
- Jürgen Klopp: It’s harder to win the Premier League
- Condolences pour in after the death of John McCain
- Some of Mollie Tibbetts’ family don’t want her death politicized
- Manafort juror: Lone holdout blocked conviction on all counts, prosecutors were "napping"
- Donald Trump says market would ‘crash’ if he were impeached
- Mass shooting at Florida video game tournament
- Scott Morrison selected as Australia's new prime minister
- John McCain, US Senator And Former Republican Presidential Nominee, Dead At 81
- Hurricane Lane: Hawaii hit by flooding and landslides as storm nears