President Donald Trump again lashed out about the nearly 3,000 deaths attributed to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico past year, questioning the science behind the count even as Hurricane Florence pummeled the Carolina coasts.
The Republican president said Democrats had inflated the number of dead in Puerto Rico "in order to make me look as bad as possible" but he did not provide evidence.
"Those are just the facts of what happens when a awful hurricane hits an isolated place like an island", Ryan said when asked about Trump's tweet. "If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list".
Donald Trump is obsessed with coverage about his response to Hurricane Maria and angry over footage showing him tossing paper towels into a crowd in Puerto Rico, a new report claims. That's a number that came out of Puerto Rico's government after it commissioned a study by George Washington University.
The death toll in Hurricane Maria is estimated to be almost 3,000, a steep increase from the initial 64.
San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz called the president's comments "delusional, paranoid and unhinged from any sense of reality". "I would never intentionally run a program incorrectly", Long said at a FEMA meeting Thursday regarding the probe, per Politico.
As the storm lashed North and South Carolina Friday as a hurricane, FEMA officials warned of the storm's menacing rain. "Now we know why he's so orange, his brain is just melted pumpkin guts". "I think that Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success", he had said.
DeSantis and Scott have taken pains to court the Puerto Rican vote, with Florida's outgoing governor having visited the island seven times since Hurricane Maria made landfall. I hate that people are making a political issue [of it],' Cora added Thursday night.
One of those joining Pelosi was Rep. Nydia Velazquez (D-NY), the first Puerto Rican woman to be elected to Congress.
The study in question, conducted by researchers at George Washington University, meticulously compared medical records on the island from the months after the storm to those in a normal, non-hurricane period.
The Trump administration has faced other scrutiny over its handling of last year's hurricanes in recent months. As U.S. citizens, Puerto Ricans - who according to polls have a very low opinion of the president - can vote in state elections once they've established residency and registered.
"Physician unawareness of appropriate death certification practices. and the government of Puerto Rico's lack of communication about the death certificate process.substantially limited the count of deaths related to María".
- European Union approves controversial internet copyright law, including ‘link tax’ and ‘upload filter’
- More than 20,000 on NC coast already without power from Florence gusts
- Florence, a Wet and Unwanted Visitor, Besieges Carolinas
- IPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max get stronger and smarter
- Slow-Moving Florence Causing Major Flooding As It Swirls Over Carolinas
- Dead, 'Catastrophic Flooding' as Florence Hovers Over Carolinas
- Local woman stays in North Carolina despite arrival of Hurricane Florence
- IPhone XS Max could be the new 6.5-inch Apple smartphone
- Hurricanes Isaac and Florence continue to pose problems for Caribbean countries
- IPhone XR Revealed At Apple Event