Mercredi, 26 Septembre 2018
Latest news
Main » Alvarez ready for rematch after Golovkin dethroned

Alvarez ready for rematch after Golovkin dethroned

17 Septembre 2018

Golovkin had been denied a win in the pair's first bout, feeling he deserved a win but having to live with a draw.

Saul "Canelo" Álvarez has completed a remarkable turnaround of fortunes to defeat Gennady Golovkin and win the WBC and WBA middleweight belts after an exhilarating bout at the T-mobile Arena in Las Vegas. While the fight itself was a masterpiece, the controversy surrounding the resulting split draw and puzzling 118-110 nod for Canelo left a dark cloud over an otherwise stellar showing from both men.

Golovkin beat Vanes Martirosyan as a replacement opponent on May 5 at T-Mobile Arena.

Alvarez inflicted the first defeat of Kazakh slugger Golovkin's career after two judges scored it 115-113 in his favor, with another judge scoring it even at 114-114.

Canelo Alvarez believes he fully merited a controversial points victory which ended Gennady Golovkin's 40-fight unbeaten career record. "I'm very emotional", said Alvarez, who has previously held world titles at middleweight and light-middleweight. Originally, the pair fought a year ago in September in Las Vegas.

"Some very close rounds that could have went either way".

When last night's fight was over and Canelo was being interviewed in the ring, GGG returned to his dressing room.

In the evening's co-main event, Jaime Munguia (31-0, 26KOs) of Tijuana, Mexico defended his WBO Junior Middleweight Title with a dominant third-round technical knockout victory against Brandon Cook (20-2, 12KOs) of Ontario, Canada in tonight's co-main event, which was scheduled for 12 rounds. Moretti and Weisfeld each gave the 12th to Alvarez and that gave him the fight.

He said: "I want to damage him, for life". Golovkin kept up a steady attack on Alvarez for failing two tests for performance-enhancing drugs in February and a defiant Alvarez vowed to humiliate Golovkin.

But they embraced at the end of Saturday's fight as the crowed waited in anticipation of the judges' verdict.

The Kazakhstan native will take home a guaranteed £3.1million from the contest - a £765,000 from the first instalment of his fight with Alvarez.

"It was I who pushed [Golovkin] back, it was I who was most aggressive", Alvarez said.

Like Alvarez, Golovkin also suffered a cut and received eight stitches over his right eye Saturday night.

Alvarez ready for rematch after Golovkin dethroned