Madrid went top of the table - at least temporarily, as Barcelona play Girona on Sunday - but Varane noted it will not always be comfortable for his team. This went some way to illustrating the difference Lopetegui has made at the Santiago Bernabeu in a very short space of time. "We played as a team".
In the second half, Jorge "Koke" Resurreccion set up Lemar, who dribbled past Soria and scored from a tight angle. The first sprung from a poor header from Raphael Varane but Pablo Piatti dragged his finish wide.
The visitors broke upfield again on 35 minutes and Perez tested Thibaut Courtois with a low shot from 17 yards out after cutting onto his left foot, but Los Blancos finally breached their defence four minutes before half-time.
Luka Modric's attempted shot from the edge of the area ricocheted through the legs of two visiting defenders straight to Asensio, who drilled a low angled shot in off the far post.
"We are not going to win 5-0 every game", Varane said.
"They are a side that has improved and the squad is more complete, has more depth".
Manchester City suffered a surprise 2-1 defeat at home to Olympique Lyonnais in their opening Champions League Group F game on Wednesday. Both have impressed when they played but only one is getting to start under Lopetegui's tactical formation.
Modric, himself, said he's enjoying the praise but added he was not obsessed with winning football's premier individual accolade.
Although it took until shortly before half-time for Madrid to break the deadlock, Isco bending in a superb free-kick, the result was thereafter never in doubt. A sweeping move saw Atletico move the ball from right to left, with Koke applying the final pass in behind.
French winger Lemar struck the crossbar with a powerful long-range effort and the ball bounced back, hitting Soria and crossing the line, to send Atletico ahead after 14 minutes.
- No Deal Brexit? May Promises To Protect EU Nationals In UK
- With Conditions | Trending: Christine Blasey Ford Agrees to Testify Next Week
- GOP pushing forward for Kavanaugh, accuser wants fairness
- Ford lawyers say she is open to testifying, but not Monday
- Samsung Galaxy A7 : A triple-sensor camera for the new smartphone
- Lawyers For Christine Blasey Ford Say She Will Testify Before Senate Committee
- Beto O’Rourke makes apparent Clash reference during Cruz debate
- British PM Theresa May's team draw up contingency plans for November election
- New evacuations ordered because of Florence flooding
- Cryptocurrency XRP is leading price increase as Ripple looks to new launch