The mission in question is planned for 2023 and would be the first lunar journey undertaken by humans since 1972, when the final Apollo mission took place.
"I hope that this project will inspire the dreamer within each of us", Maezawa wrote on the website for the project, #DearMoon. The billionaire chief executive of electric auto maker Tesla Inc, Musk said the Big Falcon Rocket, or BFR, the super heavy-lift launch vehicle that he promises will shuttle passengers to the moon and eventually fly humans and cargo to Mars, could be conducting its first orbital flights in two to three years.
Shortly after his successful Falcon Heavy Launch, Musk said he expected a "full-scale test" of the massive rocket within the next few years. Initially, SpaceX had planned to use Falcon Heavy rockets to launch the crew, but the company has made a decision to use its newly designed Big Falcon Rocket which is now under construction.
Maezawa was introduced by SpaceX founder and chief executive Elon Musk in Hawthorne, Calif.
Since space travel became a thing, millions of people have dreamed about that countdown from 10 to lift off.
Maezawa hasn't selected which artists will join him on the four to five-day journey, which will send his craft around the Moon and back to Earth. "I don't like being alone", said Maezawa.
"Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the Moon", Maezawa said at SpaceX headquarters and rocket factory in Hawthorne, California, late Monday.
Last week, SpaceX announced it had signed up its first passenger for a trip to the moon.
First SpaceX passenger: 'I choose to go to the moon!' NASA's Space Launch System rocket and Orion capsule is scheduled to take an uncrewed flight around the moon in 2020, followed by a flight with astronauts aboard three years later.
The United States hasn't had the ability to put humans in orbit since the Space Shuttle era ended in 2011.
In a recent episode of This American Life, he said he was entirely unmoved by the concept of space travel, the idea of traveling to the moon, and what those of us on Earth might think of as the beauty of space.
- Aaron Rodgers Concerned Knee Will Get Worse Over Season
- Sen. Mitch McConnell Says Senate Will 'Plow Right Through' Kavanaugh Confirmation
- Southampton gave themselves a 'mountain to climb' at Liverpool, says Mark Hughes
- Samsung Officially Launches Triple-camera Galaxy A7
- AmazonBasics Microwave works with Alexa to take your voice commands
- Second woman makes allegation against Kavanaugh
- GOP pushing forward for Kavanaugh, accuser wants fairness
- EU raises pressure as UK promises new Brexit plans
- Texas health officials: Get your flu shot ‘now’ before disease spreads
- No Deal Brexit? May Promises To Protect EU Nationals In UK