Pairing Butler and Kawhi Leonard could have the Clippers in the championship conversation, but with many teams courting them next summer, nothing is guaranteed. Butler wants to play for a big market team and the Lakers have one of the biggest markets in the league.
Taylor's urgency to trade Butler is music to the ears of Oklahoma City fans.
Butler has reportedly had a falling out with Timberwolves teammate Karl-Anthony Towns, and the meeting with Thibodeau was created to address those concerns.
Butler led Minnesota at 22.2 points per game last season.
All three, Wojnarowski said, have a lot of cap space to give the maximum space to sign Butler as a free agent in July. Denver's 2019 first-round pick, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Spencer Dinwiddie and DeMarre Carroll all remain viable trade candidates.
Prior to his time in Minnesota, the four-time All-Star spent six seasons with the Bulls. "At 6'8" he averaged a career-high two steals per game a year ago while leading a defensively-challenged Timberwolves roster.
Towns was named third team all-NBA last season, a significant accomplishment when it came to Towns' next contract.
With this latest development, several teams have entered the sweepstakes for the 29-year-old.
Minnesota Timberwolves president of basketball operations Tom Thibodeau is reluctant to trade Jimmy Butler.
Minnesota could also be interested in D'Angelo Russell.
Symbolically, it hands Towns the keys to the franchise as the Timberwolves prepare to deal Butler. A max contract has been on the table for Towns to accept for months, only for him to delay signing the deal. Butler's interest the Knicks may be overstated, according to Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today, as he wants to win now as opposed to later.
The Nets have been down the road of trading for aging, overpaid stars and it did not end well. The second vacancy could go to All-NBA forward Kawhi Leonard, who could be a free agent next summer after his trade from San Antonio to Toronto two months ago.
And they - or at least Thibodeau - are reportedly at odds with ownership over whether or not to honor Butler's request. However, this could all change as the season gets closer.
One key aspect worth considering here is the fact that a deal sending Butler to the Clippers would leave him in the Western Conference.
- Lawyers For Christine Blasey Ford Say She Will Testify Before Senate Committee
- With Conditions | Trending: Christine Blasey Ford Agrees to Testify Next Week
- Kavanaugh accuser to testify before Senate on Thursday
- Klopp: Beating Paris Saint Germain proved Liverpool can reach next level
- Beto O’Rourke makes apparent Clash reference during Cruz debate
- Apple Announces 3 New iPhones & a Watch
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery sets team two big targets
- New evacuations ordered because of Florence flooding
- Walmart warns Trump that new China tariffs could mean price hikes
- Cryptocurrency XRP is leading price increase as Ripple looks to new launch