To a manager who will hold his medals up against anybody's and actually thrives on confrontation, Mourinho may have been calculating that Pogba, for all his occasional bursts of brilliance, is simply not playing well enough for United to challenge him so guilelessly. "I think Manchester United fans are getting more on Jose's side than Pogba's".
Barcelona continue to be strongly linked with Pogba, who suggested that he would be fined if he opened up about his happiness after captaining United to an opening-day win against Leicester.
Mourinho and Pogba have been engaged in a stand-off for some time now after the Red Devils boss hooked the Frenchman in a defeat by Tottenham in January. Mourinho is understood to have been unimpressed by the furore over Pogba's return, which was meticulously planned.
Fifteen players put their penalties away, as Derby led 8-7, with United having a chance to keep the shootout going.
The Pogba situation is one that needs sorting immediately.
Berbatov, a striker at Old Trafford between 2008 and 2012, said in a Betfair press release: "If you are a captain or vice-captain, you're more often than not speaking on behalf of the players, and there is nothing wrong with giving the manager your thoughts".
"No fall-out at all, no problems at all, just one decision that I don't have to explain".
Despite admitting Pogba had been removed as deputy captain, Mourinho claimed there were no problems between him and the World Cup victor.
They were joined by fellow third-tier side Blackpool who piled misery on second-tier Queens Park Rangers with a 2-0 win.
However, he was also at fault when losing possession for Wolves' equaliser that left United already eight points adrift of Premier League leaders Liverpool after six games. We obviously know each other, and he came and spoke to me before, we spoke during and afterwards. "Jose Mourinho seems to be at war with his players and he needs to start seeing the good in what they do".
"I wanted to keep a bit of momentum".
The France World Cup victor has previously been criticised for undermining Mourinho's tactics, calling for his side to "attack, attack, attack" following their 1-1 Premier League draw against Wolves last weekend.
Mourinho, however, asserted that there were absolutely no rifts between him and the midfielder.
- Brett Kavanaugh says family name 'destroyed' by sex assault claim
- Will change mind if allegations against Kavanaugh credible
- Donald Trump: Democrats Running 'A Big Fat Con Job' Against Brett Kavanaugh
- Jeremy Corbyn heads to Brussels to meet EU's chief Brexit negotiator
- Another woman accuses Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct
- Supreme Court's Ginsburg voices support for #MeToo on eve of Kavanaugh hearing
- Google now builds its own AMP stories for search
- Russia to give Syria S-300 air defence after accusations against Israel
- Google is adding a slew of new features to Search
- Christine Blasey Ford says alleged Kavanaugh attack ‘drastically altered my life’