Whatever humor Tom Hardy summons from his conflicted dynamic with Venom mostly doesn't land because there is no darkness to offset it. Ruben Fleischer directs with a determined focus on a PG-13 rating-never mind that there is a lot of aforementioned biting off of heads and dispatching of scientists with extraterrestrial battle axes.
To those out there who hoped Venom wouldn't be a total turd in the wind, we've got some bad news for you.
The symbiote is deadly and compels Eddie to kill once they've bonded to one another, but it's also rather charming and - surprisingly - very polite. I had a lot of time improvising and a lot of freedom to play with Venom.
The initial plan for the Venom movie was to do a full R-rated horror movie, but the studio eventually backpedalled on that plan and instead made a decision to focus on the solid PG-13 age rating which is what your typical Marvel movie would be targeting. "And on top of all that, Tom is hilarious, and that was exactly what we needed to bring Venom to life for moviegoers". Eddie winds up with a symbiote all his own, a oozing black goo-based buddy called Venom, who throws Eddie's body around like a rag doll, getting him into all sorts of ridiculous, and occasionally, violent antics.
"You enjoyed filming them". Is that what you're saying?
Hardy says that the idea of symbiosis - needing each other to survive - is built into the characters of Eddie and Venom. The movie "Venom" actually wants to be is the sequel. Here, Eddie Brock exists in a universe without Spider-Man. "And it's awesome and I love it". "The film's few bright spots are largely due to Hardy's interplay with himself", Prudom wrote in part.
Naturally, Venom's look wasn't the only aspect of the character that had to be altered for this movie. "Venom is cool, man - he's a badass". However, it would appear that Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters is off to a bad start as reviews for Venom have found little to be enthused about.
Venom's beginnings are the kind every comic creator dreams of: the brash introduction that sparks its own expansive life, thrilling fans every step of the way.
And though initially it was believed that Tom Hardy's antihero would stand alone from those films and the Avengers continuity, more recent reports suggest they could cross paths on screen.
We won't have long to wait until we can make our own minds up on Venom, with the movie opening in the United Kingdom this Wednesday ahead of a Friday release in North America.
Sony now has plans to give films to other Spidey characters, with Jackpot, Black Cat, Kraven the Hunter and Silver Sable all candidates to get their own movie.
- Hundreds of prisoners escape during deadly quake & tsunami in Indonesia
- No. 2 Senate Republican: FBI report could come Wednesday
- Federal Bureau of Investigation talks with school friend of U.S. Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh
- GOP lawmakers demand 'immediate' ethics probe into leak of Ford's Kavanaugh letter
- Democrats renew questions over Brett Kavanaugh's honesty and temperament
- Europe roars back, reclaims Ryder Cup in victory over U.S.
- Kavanaugh investigation: FBI 'hasn't spoken to Christine Blasey Ford'
- White House defends Trump after he mocks Kavanaugh sex assault accuser
- ‘Kind of appalling’: Republican senators criticize Trump for mocking Christine Blasey Ford
- Crowd laughs as Trump mocks Ford's sexual assault testimony