Trump prepared to board the safari vehicle that would take her on a jaunt through Nairobi National Park last Friday, she donned a white pith helmet - the domed, buckled hat fashionable among European colonists in Africa and Asia.
The first lady highlighted USAID's work in Africa, but the Trump administration has been trying to cut the agency's funding.
The former model stepped off a plane at Cairo worldwide airport wearing high-waisted white trousers, a pleated white shirt and a black tie with a beige jacket hung over her shoulders.
She also visited a site where 105 tons of ivory was burned as part of an effort to discourage the trade.
Melania Trump's outfit choice in Egypt got plenty of people talking. "I give him my honest opinion and honest advice".
"Melania Trump or smooth criminal?" another tweeted.
Washington has long maintained a strong relationship with Cairo, which was briefly soured by the ouster of president Mohamed Mursi in 2013 and the temporary suspension of $1.3bn in military aid under US President Barack Obama. As she arrived to the Texas Air Force base ahead for the visit, she sported a green jacket with the words "I really don't care".
It was a striking moment for a first lady who, perhaps more than any other in modern times, has been happy to be a walking contradiction.
And those clothes have power. "Why didn't she go to a tech hub?"
The four-country trip was a coming out of sorts for the first lady in the world stage.
This comes after the First Lady was heavily criticized on Twitter for her outfit to Kenyan. "Is it just me?" Critics were quick to point out the historical significance of the helmet she wore on a safari while in the east African nation.
During her whistlestop five-hour stay in Cairo, she was also scheduled to visit the new National Museum under construction next door to the Pyramids. The same aesthetic could have been provided by a number of designers from Kenya's growing fashion scene. "The pith helmet in Africa was a bad look ..."
Of course, this isn't the first time Melania has stepped out in a controversial look.
"Melania Trump looks like she's stolen Hannibal Lecter's Florence suits", another said. An anti-bullying campaign from someone whose husband has retained a personal Twitter account seemingly exactly for the goal?
And she sashayed and shimmied and danced.
- appealed to the first lady one of the Internet users, quoting lines from the songs of the king of pop. And ridiculous, offensive ones at that.
- Red Sox Hold Off Yankees 5-4 in Game 1 of ALDS
- Trump hosts Kavanaugh for ceremonial Supreme Court swearing
- Google Pixel 3 Event
- McConnell says Senate 'not broken' after Kavanaugh fight
- McConnell: 'We're trying to win seats,' says GOP will still challenge Manchin
- Google Pixel 3 Mystery Color Gets A Name
- These maps shed light on when and where Hurricane Michael will hit
- New United Nations report details looming climate crisis
- Google Plus social network to shut down after major security lapse
- The World Was Just Issued 12-Year Ultimatum On Climate Change