Spain tried to mount a comeback in the second half with Paco Alcacer and Sergio Ramos getting on the scoresheet but the Three Lions held on. "There are young ones coming through who will see that and see what we're trying to do". Perhaps there was merit in giving these players the chance to do it too.
For some, the result came as a huge surprise, considering the fact that Spain had beaten England at Wembley just over a month ago. "It was a brilliant team performance".
This was the first time that Spain have looked vulnerable since their post-World Cup renaissance where they've scored 12 goals in three games including a six-goal hammering of World Cup finalist Croatia.
There was the shoot-out triumph against Colombia and the summer stroll over Sweden to go within a game of the World Cup final.
But Spain were desperate to win.
The last Englishman to score in Spain before Sterling was Gary Lineker, way back in 1987!
Southgate's side are building a reputation as a possession-based outfit but Dier reckons the ability to win physical battles will be equally as important to their long-term prospects. Change perceptions of what England teams can do. "Maybe they were expecting us to be back by the end of June".
And Southgate says he always knew they would be able to cause problems for Luis Enrique's side.
The home fans were livid when a penalty was not given as Jordan Pickford grappled with Rodrigo before completing a tackle in the 63rd minute, but only a corner was given. "It's something to work on".
Their recent form has been especially poor, with no wins in their last four in all competitions and not even a single goal scored.
While England were not instructed to foul Spain's players, Gareth Southgate praised his players' approach to ensure Spain were knocked out of their rhythm early on.
"They were a tremendous threat and it was down to the rest of the team to play and provide and I thought at times we did that really well".
- This is how The Connors killed off Roseanne in their new show
- Trump, after rogue killers comment, doubts unreleased Saudi report on Khashoggi
- Pompeo meets Saudi royal family to discuss Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance
- Cowboys, Jaguars look for consistency
- Trump on 831 Stock Market Drop: Fed Has Gone Crazy
- It's legal. In Canada, recreational marijuana gets green light
- Here's What You Need to Understand About Pocahontas Warren's DNA Results
- Another chance to talk about mental health
- Trump says 'rogue killers' may be behind Khashoggi disappearance
- Survivors & Supporters Model To End Breast Cancer