Last year's flu season was the deadliest in at least four decades, 80-thousand people died of the flu and its complications.
According to the CDC, the flu landed more than 30,000 people in the hospital previous year. "If you are infected with the flu shortly after getting your flu shot, your body may not be able to fight it off", said Moorjani.
"Basically, everybody 6 months of age and older should get vaccinated", said Brammer. The child, who has not been identified, tested positive for Influenza B and was not vaccinated.
"We're all very open about the fact that the flu vaccine is not the greatest vaccine and we really need to make improvements in it", he said.
From now until December 7th, the department is offering free flu shots at 177 public schools across the state. Again, it takes about two weeks for the vaccine to kick in, and people often get the vaccination during cold and flu season.
"Any death, especially one in an unvaccinated child, is a somber reminder of the importance of flu vaccination and the potential seriousness of flu", CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund told weather.com. MA has seen at least 80 lab-confirmed cases of influenza so far, which is typical for this time of year. Last year, the most casualties were young and elderly people. During the 2017-18 flu season, 183 pediatric deaths were reported to the CDC; nine were in IL, almost double that of 2016-17 season.
"Researchers also found more than 80 percent of pregnancies "overlapped with flu season", a finding which "[underscored] the likelihood that pregnant women will be exposed to flu at some point during their pregnancy", the CDC said.
Kelli Hillerman says the flu shot clinic involves almost 100 volunteers. This vaccine and others do not give you autism. "If you get your flu vaccine on Monday and on Wednesday you start sneezing, you did not start to develop the flu from the vaccine".
- Apple's new deluxe iPhone to start at $1100 - 47abc
- More Reports of Children Being Paralyzed by Mysterious Disease
- Celtics Make Statement in Season Opener
- Spain's Sergio Ramos: 'Nothing else to say' about Raheem Sterling stamp
- Trump says 'rogue killers' may be behind Khashoggi disappearance
- Here's What You Need to Understand About Pocahontas Warren's DNA Results
- This is how The Connors killed off Roseanne in their new show
- The US President praised China threat higher than the Russian
- United States retailer Sears files for bankruptcy
- Controversial Supreme Court Justice Nominee Brett Kavanaugh Sworn In