It's the biggest potential payout in the history of lotteries, eclipsing the previous record $1.586 billion Powerball prize paid out to winners in California, Florida and Tennessee back in January 2016. The estimated cash option is $913 million.
A winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket was sold in South Carolina, according to the South Carolina Education State Lottery.
The odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are another bummer for those planning their lives as billionaires before the number reading.
One lucky SC resident could be a billionaire.
"Ah man, I'm off", Andrew Langford said. They doubled ticket prices to $2 - and tweaked the formula to make it easier to win smaller prizes but harder to win the jackpot. But officials say with so many tickets being purchased, the likelihood of rollover becomes increasingly slim.
No, you can't just cash one of those oversized checks shown in all the victor photos.
If there are no winners in Tuesday's drawing, the jackpot could soar to $2 billion. On Tuesday, six numbers will be drawn and Americans across the country will meticulously check over their tickets to find out if they've won.
Here are the winning numbers, according to ABC: 28, 70, 5, 62, 65; Mega Ball 5.
If there's no victor Tuesday night, lottery officials said the estimated jackpot would jump again for Friday night's drawing, to $2 billion. The drawing takes place at 11 p.m. "Based on sales projections, 75 percent of the 302 million possible combinations will be chosen for Tuesday's drawing, up from 59.1 percent in Friday's". "Guess we'll find out tomorrow".
"I'm here to buy some Mega Millions of tickets!" That is up from 1 in 259 million a year ago; the change was made to generate larger prizes. A victor could be announced as early as within the next few hours.
If it seems like lottery jackpots are getting larger and larger, it's because they are getting larger and larger. Technically, the California Lottery was the first to announce any results on that night - as they often are.
Tickets had to match all five white balls and the yellow Mega Ball to claim total victory.
The jackpot has been growing since July 24, when 11 Santa Clara County, Calif., office workers won $543 million through an office pool.
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho defends Paul Pogba Players make mistakes
- Staff Predictions: No. 18 Penn State vs
- The mysterious case of the missing Saudi journalist
- Why a Half Degree Rise in Global Temperature Would Be Catastrophic
- Apple touts its largest screens, cheaper models in iPhone revamp
- Thousands of caravan migrants take shelter in southern Mexico
- Dodgers' Machado whiffs on chance to silence Game 6 boos
- Migrant caravan heading for U.S. turns around in Mexico
- China's economic growth hits the lowest level since 2009
- European Union leader's scathing put-down sums up Theresa May's Brexit talks