Chasing a stiff 324-run target, Kohli smashed 140 off 107 balls while Rohit remained unbeaten on 152 off 117 deliveries as India coasted to the victory with 47 balls to spare.
Starting with the five-match ODI series against West Indies here, India have 18-odd matches left for the World Cup and the think-tank has brought in dashing Delhi wicketkeeper batsman Rishabh Pant in the mix to spice up the scenario. The pair is No.1 and whenever they bat together, they dominate. "That's what ODI batting is all about".
The 21-year-old Hetmyer arrived at his third global century in fine style after blasting 106 off just 78 balls, in a 322 total for the regional team.
"I thought West Indies were really good with the bat, and 320-plus totals are always tricky".
Kohli's 36th ODI century and 60th alongside Tests has made him the fastest to the mark - ahead of Sachin Tendulkar. Up front we were obviously looking for wickets because we felt that that was the only way to win the game.
"I thought it was a decent effort with the bat, but life was hard for our spinners under the lights".
Rayudu scored 175 runs, averaging 43.75 from six innings in Kohli's absence in the Asia Cup.
Kohli has played 56 less innings to get to 9779 runs. This is the 4th time he hit eight or more sixes in an ODI game.
While Yuzvendra Chahal bagged three wickets for 41 runs in 10 overs, his spin partner Ravindra Jadeja was slightly expensive (2/66 from his 10).
Opening batsman Kieran Powell set the tone of the West Indies innings with a 39-ball 51, while Shai Hope (32) and captain Jason Holder (38) also made useful contributions. "Hopefully he will pass the knowledge to the younger lot", Holder said of the 37-year-old Samuels. India being the favorites to lift the ODI title would be going all guns blazing in the second contest whose outcome would give them the advantage to draw the series in their favor without much distress. There is every chance, though, that they might not get to work on their middle-order issues in this series.
Holder, though, chose to count on the positives and said they were pleased to get past 300.
- Germany stops arms exports to Saudi Arabia, urges Europe to follow
- Pompeo Revokes Visas Of Saudi Officials Accused Of Killing Khashoggi
- Saudi Arabia Admits Death Of Khashoggi
- David Luiz Outstanding Defensively Against Manchester United - Former Chelsea Star
- European Union leader's scathing put-down sums up Theresa May's Brexit talks
- Apple touts its largest screens, cheaper models in iPhone revamp
- Thousands of caravan migrants take shelter in southern Mexico
- Saudi Arabia Announces the death of journalist Khashoggi . Details
- U.S. lawmakers skeptical of Saudi claim on Khashoggi
- China's economic growth hits the lowest level since 2009