Mardi, 13 Novembre 2018
Latest news
Main » USA revoking visas, exploring sanctions in Khashoggi death

USA revoking visas, exploring sanctions in Khashoggi death

27 Octobre 2018

Turkish sources say authorities have an audio recording purportedly documenting the murder.

Turkish officials say the 15 men comprised a Saudi hit squad that included a member of Prince Mohammed's entourage on overseas trips.

The scandal has drawn global condemnation, while Saudi officials have insisted the believed killing was a "rogue operation".

The 2015 nuclear agreement with rival regional power Iran - signed by the United States and other world powers - further undermined Saudi Arabia's confidence in the Obama administration.

Pompeo declined to weigh in on the latest Saudi version of events leading to Khashoggi's death or say whether the US believes that the crown prince was part of what President Trump now calls a cover-up.

Now, sources cited by the Washington Post and Reuters news agency have backed up the reports.

Erdogan called on the King of Saudi Arabia for the 18 Saudi suspects linked to Khashoggi's death be tried in Istanbul.

Khashoggi, journalist and columnist for The Washington Post, has been missing since he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

The timing of the controversy could not be worse for Prince Mohammed as a key investment summit, dubbed "Davos in the desert", began in Riyadh, overshadowed by big name cancellations.

What's the latest with the investigation?

Riyadh refused to take part in strikes against Afghanistan in late 2001, or participate in the Iraq war in 2003, although the United States again used Saudi territory for air operations against Saddam.

Investigators emptied the well and are awaiting the results of an analysis of the water to determine whether body parts were dumped there, according to Yeni Safak, a pro-government Turkish newspaper. The Anadolu agency initially reported the Saudis had denied permission for it to be searched, only for broadcaster NTV to say later that permission had been given.

Lubna Olayan, a Saudi businesswoman moderating the forum's first session Tuesday, opened with remarks about Khashoggi.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has rejected the Saudi account of what happened and said that Khashoggi was murdered in a pre-planned operation, directed by top Saudi officials.

What is Donald Trump's line? The crown prince, who is known in diplomatic circles as "MBS", has drawn some praise in the West for his moves to modernize the kingdom and criticism for his government's arrests of rivals and critics.

But he suggested responsibility lay higher up: "Well, the prince is running things over there more so at this stage.

And they had the worst cover-up ever", Trump told reporters at the White House.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who has been trying to coax Trump into ending arms sales to Saudi Arabia, said Monday that it's "laughable" to believe the crown prince was not involved in Khashoggi's death.

As the crisis unfolded over the past three weeks, Saudi Arabia changed its tune on Khashoggi.

But the Turkish leader did not mention some of the most striking claims that appeared in the Turkish press in recent days, notably that Khashoggi's body was cut up into multiple pieces, and that there is an audio recording of the murder.

Saudi officials initially denied having anything to do with Khashoggi's disappearance after he entered the consulate on October 2, before changing the official account to say an internal investigation suggested he was accidentally killed in a botched operation to return him to the kingdom.

USA revoking visas, exploring sanctions in Khashoggi death