Lopetegui said on Saturday he still hopes to turn around Madrid's season a day before his team visits Barcelona's Camp Nou.
Barcelona, who are now all but assured of qualification for the last 16 after nine points from three games to lead their group, also proved they were not just a one-man team with Luis Suarez, Arthur Melo and Philippe Coutinho seizing the opportunity to shine. Ahead of the big match at the Nou Camp, we have profiled three players who could step up and replace the void left my CR7 in the Real Madrid attack.
World football's biggest game will be missing the sport's two biggest stars.
It's going to happen again this weekend as Ronaldo has ventured to Serie A and Messi has picked up an arm injury.
A loss could mean the end for manager Julen Lopetegui, who was sacked over the summer as coach of the Spanish national team for talking about the Real Madrid job.
FC Barcelona have a tough road of fixtures as they plan to find their way out in the absence of their talisman Lionel Messi, when they face Inter Milan in the Champions League on Wednesday followed by El Classico. "It is a period for us without Messi and we want to miss him while we're winning".
Real Madrid have struggled for goals, with Marcelo's drive in Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Levante the first they had scored in a club record eight hours of football without finding the net. Even so, they are only four points behind leaders Barcelona. "Madrid is in need of a win to go forward, It will be a nice game to watch".
An excellent game for Cristiano Ronaldo fans who saw their superstar score a late goal to secure a thrilling 1-2 win over their arch-rivals despite being reduced to 10-man.
Where are Madrid's goals without Ronaldo?
Local media say that Lopetegui could be sacked if Madrid lose the Clasico, and he was defiant when asked about these reports. I am convinced about what we are doing and we are thinking about preparing for Sunday's game, which is very important and one for which we have great ambition. "We have to be recognisable in the way we play, keeping the ball".
- Theresa May says Saudi account on Khashoggi lacks credibility
- Pixel 3 : l'weapon of Google to counter the'iPhone
- After Obama, Hillary and CNN, actor Robert de Niro gets parcel bomb
- Killing of Jamal Khashoggi was premeditated - Saudi prosecutors
- Price a victor again as Red Sox take a World Series stranglehold
- Di Maria sauve Paris de la défaite contre Naples — Ligue des champions
- Hallo-WIN a new iPhone XS Max on Heart
- Erdogan says will not let those responsible for Khashoggi killing avoid justice
- $1 million Mega Millions ticket sold in Davenport
- Tesla Follows Through with Elon Musk’s Model 3 Promise