However, for all their much-vaunted strength in depth, City appeared to miss injured top scorer Sergio Aguero against Chelsea.
"We played very well in the last few minutes of the first half, and the first 20 minutes of the second, and in the end we deserved to win". Leicester clearly need their striker back as soon as possible to stop their season stagnating.
He is another member of the Chelsea squad whose future at Stamford Bridge is uncertain.
Lukaku said he he'd had "good conversations" with United manager Jose Mourinho in recent days because he had not been playing with enough aggression or intensity.
"Today we played with a very good level of application, determination and the right level of aggressiveness".
"When you talk about mentality and pressure, this team is built to deal with it and I fully expect them to push City all the way this year". Chelsea Football Club and the MET Police are anyway going to look into the allegations, as per sources, but the FA needs to act upon this as well. I can imagine how intense, how aggressive and how committed they will be. I'm delighted. We were outstanding except for five to eight minutes.
"I think when you ask a senior pro to step up they are quite capable of doing that, whether they do and whether they do it against a team like City is another thing but he was absolutely magnificent".
Guardiola was too modest to agree. "But that was okay because we shouldn't have lost this match".
Chelsea fans may well get the new striker we're all hoping for this January - but the club won't be looking to the transfer market in order to strengthen their options in attack.
Guardiola feels Tuesday's 2-1 victory at Watford, when City endured a nervy finish after dominating early on, underlines this point.
Spurs made light of the absence of the England captain as Son Heung-min and Dele Alli came to the fore in a highly impressive 2-0 win.
- Huawei CFO gets bail; China detains ex-Canadian diplomat
- Hush payments to Stormy Daniels 'private transaction'
- Liverpool top the Premier League as Man City slip up at Chelsea
- May accused of misleading MPs over Brexit deal
- Microsoft confirms plans to put Chromium under the hood of Edge
- Over 1,700 arrested in latest yellow vest protests in France
- Governor Walker: What Will Your Message To Gov.-Elect Evers Be?
- CS: GO Is Now Free-To-Play On Steam
- Oil Price Fundamental Weekly Forecast - Production Cut Agreement Should Be Supportive
- NASA Probe Reaches Asteroid Bennu Ready to Collect Samples