Former striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has since been appointed interim manager until the end of the season.
It didn't work out at United for many reasons, aside from Mourinho, but we all know that the manager is the one who pays the ultimate price.
Mourinho has repeatedly said he can not compete with the spending power of City and Liverpool, ignoring the fact that he has signed $704 million (AUD) of talent over the last two years.
Players wore suit and ties as did officials and other coaching staff at the club.
United fans are not by nature mutinous, and do not wish to be a club associated with constant managerial turnover.
Fractures in his relationship with Paul Pogba began to emerge in September and the France World Cup victor was stripped of the vice-captaincy before Sky Sports News filmed them having an animated disagreement on the training ground.
Mourinho was also heavily critical of chief executive Ed Woodward after he failed to sanction funds for a centre-back this summer.
"No, jokes aside, like most Norwegians I was eagerly waiting to hear from Old Trafford last night".
Spurs are in third position in the Premier League table and six points adrift of leaders Liverpool FC.
One of the world's most talented midfielders, Pogba didn't even get off the bench in one of the biggest matches of the season against Liverpool on Sunday when United lost 3-1.
"Now, we must aim for fifth and probably later we can look to fourth", he told Sky Sports. I was 7-8 when I started playing with my cousins.
But the pair's rivalry has been far more friendly during their Premier League years and Guardiola says he hopes to come up against Mourinho again soon.
That can be seen on the club's Reddit page when Mourinho was announced.
"So, there is no secret communication between the Norwegian PM and Manchester United Football Club", she added.
On Monday, French giants PSG were picked out of the hat to take on United in February.
- House passes farm bill, sending it to Trump’s desk
- ‘Coup plot may lead to Tory party’s breakup’
- Brexit: European leaders reneged on promise to help Theresa May
- What De Gea Said To Mourinho In Dressing Room After Liverpool Loss
- Manchester United players training ahead of Valencia clash
- OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition now official with 10GB of RAM
- Klopp: Napoli had no answers to outstanding Liverpool
- Police Dash Cam Captures Meteor Shower Ahead of Geminids Peak
- James Harden pops off 50-point triple-double as Rockets club Lakers
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May survives leadership challenge