The moon's distance from Earth varies because its orbit is not circular, but elliptical.
A spectacular supermoon is due to illuminate the sky later today - but it might be tough to spot if you're in the Westcountry.
Astrologer Richard Nolle defined the term back in 1979 as a "new or full moon which occurs with the moon at or near (within 90% of) its closest approach to Earth in a given orbit".
Combine these two phrases and you have the Super Snow Moon which is set to reach peak fullness over Ireland at around 3:53pm GMT tomorrow. "Because these relatively close objects are in front of the moon, our brain is tricked into thinking the moon is much closer to the objects that are in our line of sight", Adams says. Every year, we get 12 (or 13, sometimes) full moon.
This type of moon can also be called a "hunger moon" as it traditionally comes at the end of winter when hunting was harder, making food scarce.
The moon will appear especially full and large tonight over Australia, so you'll want to make sure you are ready for it.
The moon is expected to still be bright and bold into the evening as well.
The biggest supermoon of 2019 will take over Orlando's sky Tuesday night.
Another supermoon will arrive this week following the celestial event late last month.
It will also look huge because of how close it is to Earth.
Perhaps ironically, our closer-than-usual view of the annual snow moon may be obscured by snow itself.
Each month's full moon goes by a nickname; some full moons have several alternate names. Tuesday's moon will be 17,000 miles closer than average.
The supermoon will be up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than other full moons throughout the year. The full moon moment - when the moon lies exactly 180 degrees opposite the sun and reflects the light to the maximum - will occur at 9.23 p.m.
The moon rises over the Parthenon on the ancient Acropolis Hill in Athens, Greece, Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019.
- U.S. states file lawsuit against Donald Trump's border wall emergency
- Jussie Smollett Has ‘No Plans’ to Meet With Chicago Police Today
- Samsung Unpacked event: Here's everything about Galaxy S10, S10+ and S10E
- Chicago Bulls: 5 reasons "tanking for Zion Williamson" is the right move
- Attack on CRPF will strengthen India-US counter-terrorism cooperation
- Bernie Sanders launches second Democratic US presidential bid
- United given a 'reality check', admits Solskjaer
- Mars Rover gives super emo final goodbye to NASA before death
- After Pulwama massacre, 4 more jawans killed by terrorists in Pinglan encounter
- PM Modi welcomes Saudi Crown Prince with a warm hug