Ronaldo fired home from the spot, to go with two headers either side of half-time, as Juventus marched on to the Champions League quarter-finals in thrilling circumstances.
The 34-year-old levelled the aggregate scores in the last-16 clash three minutes after halftime with another towering header, this time from Joao Cancelo's cross.
With four minutes left, Bernardeschi powered into the Atlético area, was pushed in the back by Angel Correa and Ronaldo blasted home the penalty.
"I remember that night I told the team that we should not be afraid, ether of him or of the Bernabeu, but we were already down 2-0 in 17 minutes", Hecking recollected the scenes from two years ago, as Wolfsburg played Real Madrid in the second-leg of the Quarter-finals.
Gab Marcotti believes that Cristiano Ronaldo's stellar performance against Atletico Madrid only begins to justify the huge sum Juventus paid for him. "It's a lesson we need to learn going into the return match".
Atletico Madrid now lead the tie 2-0 after they won the first leg in Madrid.
But Ronaldo shrugged off the criticisms and produced his best game of the season, scored either side of the half, and provided a constant attacking threat against a seemingly wilting Atletico side. Elsewhere, Bernardo Silva made it the ideal night for Portuguese with a goal in Manchester City's 7-0 win over Schalke.
However, the visitors struggled to deal with the crosses the Old Lady pumped into the box and minutes after the restart Ronaldo scored his second with another header.
Schalke's players were barracked by their own fans at the end of a miserable night for Domenico Tedesco's side who face a fight to preserve their Bundesliga status.
What do you make of Ronaldo's controversial celebration?
Cristiano Ronaldo continues to be unbelievable. And City made it double figures on aggregate, winning 7-0 on the night with Leroy Sane starring as he scored one and made three assists.
"If we manage to overturn the first leg result, it will be extraordinary".
"You can imagine how I'm feeling. We had been waiting for this evening for a long time and we risked having a frenetic game, instead we had to pressure them whilst also keeping a balance, and we did it".
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez are officially engaged
- Mauricio Pochettino blames lack of ‘collective spirit’ for loss
- 'Relegation, that’s pressure' - Robertson urges Liverpool to enjoy title race
- What's in Samsung S10 preorder offers?
- Snow Set To Hit Many Areas This Weekend
- L'opposition demande un report des élections — Algérie
- USA flight crew 'worried about flying Boeing 737 Max'
- Apex Legends Hits 50 Million Players Worldwide
- No Sex, No Money Scandal May Torpedo Trudeau Fragile Government
- Bolton says he won't speculate on North Korean nuclear site